This cloth basket has endless possibilities. Some ideas are to keep
your sewing supplies in it like a sewing basket, fill it with books
next to your bed or make one for your bathroom supplies. Change the
material around for completely different looks, decorate it with
embellishments or add prairie points.
Sewing Materials Available
Cloth Basket Sewing Tutorial
You will need:
- 2- 25" x 9" pieces of fabric, one for the outside and one for
the lining. You can make these the same material or coordinating
- 2- 25"x9" pieces of interfacing
- 9 inch circle cut from material (trace a circle pattern on a
large piece of paper with a compass if needed)
- 9 inch circle out of interfacing
- 2- 2 1/2"x11" strips of material for handles
- 2- 2 1/2"x11" strips of interfacing
Sewing Basket Instructions
- Iron interfacing on circle, outer material, lining and
- Sew outer material and lining with right sides together.
Leave small opening on side edge to turn right sides out.
- Turn right sides out and iron flat.
- Sew side edges together making sure to catch opening in seam.
- Pin circle to tube with right sides together. This is a little
tricky see the picture below for help. Sew along circle. Turn
right sides out.
- To finish handles, turn edge in toward middle overlap with
outer edge. Pin down middle. Zigzag down middle. Do the same for
- Pin handle to inside of basket. Sew in place. To make secure,
stitch a square by sewing along one end of the handle turn the
corner and sewing continue until you've created a square.
Smaller Cloth Basket
To make this smaller basket, cut your material 11 1/2" x 15 1/2"
with a 10" circle. Follow the directions as above.
You can create a patchwork basket by making two strips, one 5 1/2" x
and the second 6 1/2" x 8". (This would be similar to the project
above. ) This will leave a sewing allowance so you can sew the two
strips together and then follow the directions using the patchwork
rectangle for the outside rectangle.
Want to know how to add prairie points
like the ones in the smaller basket?
Kids Lessons Projects:
~Kids Sew Lessons, ~Applique Shirt Project, ~Bath Mitt, ~Binder Cover,~Christmas
Cone Ornaments,~Cloth Basket,~Cloth Basket Tray with Ribbon Corners,
Dinner Napkins or Bread Cloths,~Easy
Sew Curtains,~Fairy Costume,
~Prairie Points,~Sew Purse, ~Recycle
Your Old Tie Projects,~Reversible HeadBands, ~Shirt
into Shorts Project,~Shirt
and Transform it into a Dress,~Tie Pillow, ~Tie Skirt,~Tiered T-shirt Skirt, ~Wall Hanging,
how to sew, ~Entertainment
Follow Kids Sewing Projects