You will need for this drawstring bag:
2- 5 x 5 inch squares of fabric
Needle and thread
2-30 inches pieces of yarn and a large yarn needle
Sewing Materials Available
Sewing a small bag with a drawstring
Cut out 2 5 inch squares of fabric. Put right sides together.
Right sides are the sides with the design on them. These sides will
be showing when you finish the project.
Right side/Wrong side
Sew along sides of fabric leaving the top open. Use a straight
running stitch with your stitches close together. Once you have
finished the sides. Turn the top down ¼ -1/2 inch and sew a straight
stitch along the bottom. Be srue you only sew through one side.
Turn material right side out.
Thread yarn with a large needle but don't tie the end. With the
yarn, stitch a straight stitch along the top edges leaving excess at
the beginning and at the end. Tie ends together. Stitch another row
of yarn under the first row making sure you leave excess yarn at the
beginning and end. Tie ends when you reach the end.
You can pull the yarn to close the bag.
**Later on this project can be done easily on the sewing machine. We
practiced hand stitching in Level 1.
Making your own draw string bag
by Kylie Briggs (Moura QLD)
Steps to making your own draw string bag
1. Please get the following:
1 colored hand towel
of your choice
a safety pin
round head pins
Cotton to match color of hand towel
a felt picture of your choice
draw string preferably white
tape measure or a ruler
2. Lay out the hand towel on a flat surface.
3. Then fold the laid out hand towel in half.
4. Now get your felt picture and place wherever you think it looks
best pin to one side of hand towel.
5. Once you have pinned it down get your needle and cotton and sew
around the edges in blanket stitch.
6. Once the hand towel is folded sew all the way through both sides.
7. Now repeat on the other side.
8. Then fold over the top of hand towel about 3cm.
9. Then sew all the way around leaving a space of 2cm so you can
thread your draw string through.
10. When you have finished doing that get your draw string and a
11. Put your safety pin through one end of the draw string.
12. Then thread the draw string through the opening of the hem.
13. Leaving both ends of the draw strings out of either end so you
can see them.
14. Remove safety pin from draw string.
15. Then get both ends of the draw strings and tie them in a knot.
16. Then pull them tight until you have closed off the top of your
And now you have made your own draw string bag to put a number of
different items in. (This bag can be used to put tablets in or can
even be used as a toiletry bag)
Would you like more advanced instructions from Level 3 on sewing a
drawstring bag on the sewing
Hand Sewing Projects:
Beginner Lessons Level 1, ~Drawstring Coin Bag, ~Basic
hand stitches, ~ Hand
Sewing Kits, ~ Draft
Critter, ~ Felt
Bookmark, ~ Felt
Mittens, ~ Needle Book,
Stick Bags, ~Key
Chain Animal, ~Puppet
Gloves, ~ Hand
sewn teddy bear sleeping bag & pillow, ~Halloween
Doll, ~Button Flower, ~Sew Ornaments, ~Sew Felt Doll, ~Felt Patterns