It is rather easy to learn how to sew a skirt. Find out your
measurements below and then find a fabric that you'd like to
create a fun skirt. Then experiment with different ways to make
~This post contains affiliate
links and I'll earn a small commission if you shop through them.
There is no extra cost to you. This is how we help support our
family and continue to bring you amazing content. To learn more
see the affiliates
First take your measurements
Then measure how long you'd like your skirt to be. Add 2 inches for
your waist and hem. For the width you will use fabric that is 45
Create Fabric into a Circle
Fold your skirt in half with right sides together. Sew ends
Add Elastic Waistband
Turn top edge down 1/4 inch and then down 1 inch. Pin in
Sew bottom edge leaving 1 inch opening to insert elastic.
Measure your waist and add 1-2 inches. Cut out same length of
1 inch elastic.
Add a safety pin to the end of the elastic.
Insert pin into opening and push through elastic casing until
comes out the other end.
Pin two pieces together and try on skirt. Making sure it fits.
If too lose tighten elastic.
Sew two ends of elastic together, back-stitching to make
Sew opening closed.
Turn bottom edge up 1/4 inch and then 1/4 inch again. Pin in
Sew bottom hem taking out pins as you go.
How to Sew a Skirt
by Aja Jensen (Issaquah, WA, USA)
You will need for this how to sew a skirt project:
1/2 inch elastic
1. Measure from your waist to your knee and add two inches.
2. Cut one piece of fabric the width of your measurement.
3. With rights sides together sew a 5/8 inch seam down the selvage
edge and press open.
4. You will have a tube of fabric now.
5. On both ends of the tube press in a one inch fold. Then open the
fold and press a 1/2 inch fold. Finally fold the fabric over twice
on the lines you have pressed and press again.
6. On the bottom edge stitch all the way around on the fold to make
7.On the top edge stitch almost all the way around on the fold.
Leave a two inch opening for the elastic. (make sure you stitch
right on the edge of the fold so you leave room for the elastic to
8. Measure your waist and cut a piece of elastic that length.
9. Take two safety pins and pin one end of the elastic to the
opening. Take the other safety pin and pin it just to the elastic.
Use this safety pin to push the elastic through the opening and all
the way around the waist.
10. When both ends of the elastic are at the opening overlap the
ends by a 1/2 inch and sew them together (without sewing on the
11. With the elastic inside the casing you made finish stitching on
the fold until the opening is closed.