This box shaped basket is a fun size for storing toys, keys, hair
accessories, any odds and ends you might have lying around that need
a place to call home.
For this cloth basket you will need:
2- 15x15 pieces of fabric-
one for the lining one for the outside. You can have them be the
same or coordinating fabric
15 x 15 piece of interfacing
~This post contains affiliate
links and I'll earn a small commission if you shop through them.
There is no extra cost to you. This is how we help support our
family and continue to bring you amazing content. To learn more
see the affiliates
Steps for sewing a box shaped basket
1. Iron your piece of interfacing to one square piece of fabric.
2. Measure a 4 1/2 inch square on each corner including the lining
and the outside piece. You can use a fabric marker to mark and cut
the squares out or use a rotary cutter with ruler. Whichever you are
3. Fold and pin 2 side edges together. These are not on the top
edges or inside pieces but the outer edges.
4. Sew 2 edges closed.
5. Sew the same with the lining piece.
6. Open out fabric and you'll see which sides need to be sewn in
order to finish off your box. Leave the top as is. Do the same for
the lining piece.
7. With right sides together place lining piece inside the box.
Start by pinning corners together and continue to pin two pieces
together along the top edge.
8. Sew along top edge. Leave an opening for pulling right sides out.
9. Pull right sides out through opening.
10. Turn open edge in and topstitch all along top edge.
A variation of this basket project is to use bias
tape for the top lining. This will cut out the steps of lining
your material together sewing, leaving an opening and pulling right
sides out. This will be a little quicker.
For this type of cloth box follow directions above up to step 6.
To finish, Place lining within the outside box. Right sides should
be showing on both inside and outside.
If the tops are uneven, trim to even out.
Using bias tape, place one side of the bias tape on each cut edge.
Pin in place. Continue pinning the top.
Sew along top edge carefully removing pins as you sew.