Fun Summer Doll Jumper
by Kristin Branch
(Marion, IN, USA)
Fun Summer Doll Jumper
by Kristin Age 13 April 2013
1 piece of fabric for the bib that is 5 1/2 inches x 3 1/4 inches
2 straps that are 2 inches x 7 inches
1 waist band that is 2 1/2 inches x 11 1/2 inches
9 skirt panels 3 inches x 5 1/2 inches
1 ruffle that is 4 1/2 inches x 33 inches
double fold bias tape
2 1/2 feet of 1/4 inch ribbon
fasteners of your choice (Velcro,snaps...)
Note:all seams are sewn with 1/4 inch and try not to sew over any pins !
1.Take two skirt panels lay them right sides together, pin them on one long side, now sew it. Open those two up. Take another skirt panel and with right sides together pin to the first
set of panels, and sew along the long side. Keep doing this until all nine panels are sewn into a long rectangle
2. On the wrong side lay all of the seams flat going the same direction on the skirt and pin them
3. Now with the skirt right side up, sew along the seam the side you folded the seam to. Sew (top stitch) really close to the seam. This will make it lay flat and it will look good.
4. Fold the ruffle in half long ways (wrong sides together) and pin it
5. Run a gathering stitch (the biggest stitch your machine can make)1/4 inch from the edge do not back stitch. Do this along the not folded side. Sew through both layers. Make sure to
leave plenty of extra string hanging off the edges.
6. Find the middle of the ruffle, put a pin in it to mark the middle. Find the middle of the bottom of the skirt and put a pin in it as you did the ruffle.
7. With the right sides together match the pins on both the skirt and the ruffle.Don't worry the ruffle will be a lot longer than the skirt.Pull on one of threads gently to gather so that the
ruffle is the same length as the skirt. Make sure the gathers in the ruffle are nice and even. Once you are content with how it looks, pin it about once every inch do the same with the other half.
8. Sew it slowly about 1/4inch from the edge of the fabric, with your ruffle on top, make sure that your skirt and ruffle are lined up evenly.
9. Using a seam ripper pick out any places where the original stitches show through on the outside.
10. Do as you did on the skirt panel seams and top stitch with the seam folded up.
11. Put a gathering stitch on the top of the skirt again about 1/4inch from the edge, find the middle of the skirt and belt. Put right sides together and pin the belt on, gather the skirt, pin well, and sew with the skirt on top.
12. Fold the of the top of the belt down 1/4 inch to the wrong side and sew in place.
13.Now fold it in half long ways with wrong sides together, making sure that the back of the belt is covering all of the raw edges on the top of the skirt and past the line of stitching used
to hold the belt on, about 1/8 inch, pin,and sew from the right side of the dress.
14. From the front side, top stitch along the bottom of the belt so that all of the layers stay in place.
15. Take your double fold bias tape and cover the raw edges of the back center of the dress, pin it, then sew.
16. Find the middle of your ribbon and the middle of your belt, match them up, pin the ribbon in the middle of your belt. Sew as close to the edge of the ribbon as you can. Now do the same with the other side of the ribbon. There will be extra ribbon on each end. That is for tying a bow. ( ;
17. To make the top of the dress (the bib) you must take the bib piece, fold it in half short ways, with right sides together, pin it and sew the side seams; clip the corners, and turn right
18. Top stitch all four corners.
19. Find the middle of the belt and the bib match them up with each other, lay the belt on top the bib by overlapping the two by 3/8 inch. Pin it. From the front, top stitch the top of the belt
making sure to catch the bib so that it stays on.
20. Take your strap pieces fold them in fourths with right sides showing so that there are no raw edges showing, pin it and sew down the middle. Repeat for the other strap.
21. Now fold one edge of the strap over 1/4inch and sew. So that the end is not raw, repeat.
22. Once your straps are sewn take the unfinished end of the strap and line them up 1/2inch in from the edge of the back center of the dress. The straps should be on the inside
hanging down about 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch. Pin. Sew across this 3 to 4 times to attach them well.
23. Hand sew the straps to the bib in the top corners. Add a tiny button to the top of the straps for decoration.
24. Put on what ever kind of fasteners you are using to close the back center seam.
25. You are finally done!! Have fun playing dolls!