Brown and Orange Medium Tote
by Yvonne Rose
1. Cut one 12in. x 14in. square (on the fold of the fabric) out of a lining material of your choice. This is the inside of your bag.
2. Cut one 12in. x 9in. square (on the fold of the fabric) out of a material of your choice. This is the outside of your bag
3. Cut two 12in. x 5in. peaces out of your lining material. This is the band for your bag.
4. Cut two 16in. x 12in. pieces out of you outside material. These are the straps for you bag.
5. Cut out a pocket shape piece of material (about 4in. across and 5in. long) for the inside of your bag.
6.Tread your machine with coordinating thread colors.
7. With right sides together, sew each band piece to each side of the outside of your bag. Then press flat.
8. With right sides together, sew up each the sides.
9. Cut the bottom corners about 2in. from the point.
10.Open the corners and then sew across.
11. Press raw side of the pocket in, place in the center of the bag, and then double stitch it to the bag to secure it.
12. Repeat steps 8-10 with your lining fabric.
13. With right sides together, sew the two straps in half on the 5/8 line.
14. Turn the straps inside out and then press seams to the back.
15. Turn the outside piece of your bag inside out and keep your lining piece with the right side out.
16. Take your lining piece and place it inside of the outside piece of your bag.
17. Now, place your one strap in between the two bag pieces on each side of the bag but make sure to keep the seams facing inwards. Pin the straps in place.
18. Sew around the top edge of the bag on the 5/8 line but make sure to leave about a 3in hole to allow you to turn the bag inside out.
19. After ou turn the bag inside out, top stitch all the way around the top edge of the bag closing the hole that you left.
20. Your bag is finished!
1. Cut a 16in x 5in. piece of fabric that coordinates with your bag.
2. Press the end edges in then press the whole strip in half.
3. Do a wide running stitch along the top raw edge of the strip.
4. Pull the tread to gather.
5.Connect edges together. At this time it should start to look like you have a flower.
6. Embellish with a button in the center.
7. Tightly attach the flower to ONLY the outside layer of the bag.
8. You are finished!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Sewing Project.